Saturday, April 22, 2017

My Breasts and I - Part 1

Part 1 - Written on January 17, 2017

I asked permission from my husband to write this piece. He's usually more careful that I when it comes to social media and I felt I needed to ask first if it's OK to discuss this publicly. I'm sharing this with the hope that those who see changes in their bodies would get themselves tested as soon as possible. I admit I procrastinated. I could have gone and seen my OB last month but I was in denial.
I was 22 years old when I had my first breast mass excision. There was a mass removed from each of my breasts. Juval Hirtz and I were already sweethearts then. He and my family took turns taking care of me when I was hospitalized.
Two years ago, I had another breast mass excision. This time, it was from my left one. It was also deeper in the tissue so it was more painful than the first operation. It also took longer to heal. Juval and I were already married then.
Two months ago, I started noticing some physical changes in my left breast again. One of the symptoms was similar to what I had 2 years ago and then there's another symptom. Self-preservation is hindering me from discussing the symptoms online. I didn't realize I'd be embarrassed to describe the symptoms until I wrote this.
During my discussion with my OB last Saturday, we talked about possibilities and options. If needed, I can choose to get my breast (assuming there's a problem with just one of them) removed and replaced so I won't go through much depression. I learned that some patients went through hard times upon seeing the changes in their bodies. I was told such surgeries now involve giving replacement options. I jokingly told my OB the size I wanted and she said it's not available in the Philippines.
I was also told there's no sure link between my current inability to conceive with my (assumed) breast issue. I can still conceive in the future. I have a good 10 years left in me to conceive I think.
Tomorrow, I'll know the results of today's test. My heart is surprisingly at peace. Whatever the results may be, I'll hold on to Jesus for I'm sure He'll hold on to me. I know everything will happen for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. He said so in Romans 8:28.

No comments:

Post a Comment